Monday, June 20, 2011

Electronic Crutch

So the (perhaps temporary) death of the laptop created an interesting thing this weekend: Time.

For the first time in a very long time indeed, I suddenly found myself with time to do things.

Why? Because suddenly I did not have the option of running to the laptop every time I got a bit bored or had nothing else to do. I was forced to actually do other things.

I must admit that I had not realized that I had become so addicted to the ready availability of the computer, that it had become quite the crutch - and apparently, an unthinking one at that.

What did I do instead? I finished two books I had started months ago. I planted more in my garden. I participated with my children in some activities. I boxed (on Wii). I started reading more. Worked on my resume. Practiced Iaido and mandolin.

I don't know that I'll ever be truly separated from the computer (after all, how else could I blog?). On the other hand, this weekend has given me a powerful reminder of how easily I can become controlled by the triple forces of laziness, technology and unthinking.

To do means to be active and engaging - not trapped in a 14" electronic screen reading about the lives and events of others.

Here's to doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!