Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Work Tuesday

And here it is, Tuesday.

I am sitting here in the cool overcast New Home darkness, the wind rustling the trees as I mentally and spiritually prepare for the work week ahead. It's a form of willing suspension of disbelief, as I consciously ignore the problems and issues I know await me there.

Which begs the question: is this the way things are supposed to be?

I know, I know: all work, at some level, involves toil and struggle, and I certainly do not labor under the fact that it is otherwise. Still, I have to wonder if this level of essentially ignoring the way things are going to be is the way things have to be - or is this an aberration?

Certainly now, due to contractual obligations, I am not in a position to do anything about it - but I can begin to plan to do something about it.

The interesting thing is that, when I ponder it, every time I have made the determination that I am going to find a new position - truly find one, not just dabble - I have. So much for "I can't do it". The other reality is, I seldom have traded up in my positions. In responsibility, in job function, in the state of the companies I come to, all things tend to be the same. So is the the fault of where I go, or is it the fault of how I choose, what I am, and how I present myself.

The reality is that in any industry, the very best (in the sense of most competent and most skilled) always have employment. It's the second tier, the third tier, that is constantly struggling to find another position, find a higher position - who are trapped.

I hate feeling trapped in a job, that there are no options, that I must stay. It's then that the compromises of character and ethics begin to take place -"I have to do this, or else I'll lose my job."

Not for me - at least, not anymore. I will compromise neither character nor ethics for a person or a position.

The job is replaceable. The character and ethics are not.

2 comments:

  1. Fits in well with a Seneca quote I ran across recently, "Each man has a character of his own choosing; it is chance or fate that decides his choice of job." (Letter 47)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that quote. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!