Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Work Dream

Work dreams are the worst. There is nothing less fun than waking up from a dream about work only to realize that you have to get up to go to work. There is very little that is more demotivating.

And this one was one of the better ones. Simply put, I got fired.

Oh, it wasn't that straightforward, of course. The people involved were a combination of individuals I have worked with throughout my career: a coworker from my first job in the industry, an HR person from two companies ago, a Vice President from 3 companies ago, my current boss, and a current coworker.

The crux of the dream was the fact that I was fired.

Fired by my current boss (he was the one in the dream). The ironic part was that he didn't remember that he had fired me and could not remember the reason that he did. One of my coworkers (the current one) couldn't believe I had been fired; the other one (the one from long ago) continued on working on his tasks, even as he had no clue either why it had happened to me.

My last day there, my boss came up to me and asked me if I had scheduled my going away lunch. I looked at him somewhat strangely and said no, I hadn't. He wondered if I should.

I went to HR as my last stop, which was strangely my old college. I struggled to get HR's attention but finally got it; when I told them I was fired, they couldn't believe it and hadn't been informed. They called in the president (my old VP) who assured me that I wasn't fired - show up for work tomorrow. She then drifted off, leaving me to my own devices, to wander back to my home.

Finally, I called my boss. "Why aren't you here?" he asked. "I got fired" I replied. "Fired? No-one was fired" he replied. "When do you leave for your audit?"

At that point I woke up, rolled over to see the clock was at 4:53 AM, and then had that sinking feeling realizing "Hey, now I get to go to work and really live it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!