Sunday, June 19, 2011

On The Example of Fathers

Today is Father's Day.

Thinking of Father's Day of course brings me to my own (which, I suppose, it rightfully should).

Interestingly, as I continue to grow older, I find myself in the position (as many do) of discovering that the father has somehow magically grown wiser and knowledgeable over the years. The more likely reality is that I have simply become more willing and able to listen to all he has to say.

During my greatest fiasco - The Firm - my father patiently gave me his advice and things to think about - things which I promptly ignored, to my own peril and eventual failure. In all of this, my father never once criticized me for making the decision or for ignoring his advice. When things went down the drain and I sat for two months looking for work, he never castigated me, nor made a comment when I crawled back to my industry at the same rate at which I had been paid.

That one thing - the giving of advice and then the general support when I failed to take it - is perhaps the single greatest gift or skill I received from The Firm. The computer and desk chair are gone, the house the career bought is sold. Only the self confidence to do and the example of my father now remain.

I consider this example as I prepare to face new forks in the road, decisions which I have to make - and in making them, impact my own family in the same way that my father's impacted us (for good, I might add). Have I finally learned to listen to advice? Have I finally learned to hear with the heart? For my own children as they grow older, am I teaching them to make good decisions - yet advising and then being supportive as they do.

I have had a great example. Would that I can live up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!