Friday, July 30, 2010

Star and Planet

"They are trying to make me into a fixed star. I am an irregular planet." - Martin Luther

There are days - and today is probably another one of them - where, as I get ready to do the things constitute the daily routine of my life, my spirit rebels. This is not the way things are supposed to be, I protest. I dreamed of doing more in life, of making a larger contribution, of living on the edge and being successful - not being another of a long and glorious line of paper pushers, dealing with stress and crises not of my own making or my concern.

It is as if, to quote Luther, one was a planet and had been roped in invisible line by invisible line into becoming a fixed star, no longer even following an orbit but trapped in location.

Some of these lines are self imposed; as many have come from somewhere else and were put on me. The question is, do I continue to be bound and hold steady, or do the lines break - and what happens after that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!