Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Two Paths

I was confronted this morning as I walked with the specter of two career paths - two paths of which I have not had to choose from for some time.

On one path is the journey of the comfortable, of that which I know today, of working with individuals I enjoy in an environment I know. The chances of achievement are low, in fact probably nil, and the growth that will occur there is minimal, but it is comfortable and known and I like it.

On the other path is the journey of the uncomfortable, of leaving that which is known (and let's be honest - to some extent which I have created), of moving into an environment which will probably be more challenging - but where the chances of achievement are much higher and the growth potential much greater.

I feel that I am facing, in a small way, the initial conceptual challenge that those who move on always feel: do I stay here where I am comfortable, or do I grow? I suppose it's the same concept that moved Lincoln from Illinois or any actor or actress from their hometown to their first theater.

And it's not even a geographical move per se - it's an intellectual move which agrees with and embraces the concept that growth is more important than comfort, and achievement is more important than coasting.

2 comments:

  1. I think, based on your closing comments, that you have already made your decision. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write these things, and forget what I write, and then look at your comments and think "Good Lord, what did I write?"

    Yes, the growth and achievement must be chosen over the safe and coasting. Events today confirmed this thought pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!