Wednesday, November 27, 2013

2014 Goals - II

So I am struggling this morning as I consider the rough draft of my goals for 2014.  It revolves around deciding what the next step should be.  I have two choices really:  continue in what I am doing and go with that or look to something completely different.

Yes, I know that I was toying with the same thought yesterday.  It is a bit different though:  I need to seriously consider the implications.

Implications?  Three.  Time, money, and relationships - not necessarily in that order.

1)  Time:  Whatever I pick up, even if it were to follow something sensible instead of my own heart, will require the investment of time.  What would I be willing to put on hold while I pursued this (shadowy at this point) new career?

2)  Money:  No matter what I might think of doing some kind of investment is likely to be required.  Where will the money come from?  What sort of investment will it take - and what would I move to the side to do it?

3)  Relationships: Following something different would most likely change the time and energy I spend with those closet to me - quite possibly at the time where that energy is most needed here, instead of forging a new path of my own.  What are the implications of that reinvestment?

So balancing the two - what I do versus possibly something I might like doing but have to learn - is there a way clear?  If I had to sacrifice one to the other, which one would give?  I know which one should give - relationships should always trump all.  Is there a way that I could make such things work in the context of relationships?

I am not sure - but neither am I convinced that merely trying more, harder, will give me the results I seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!