Monday, March 07, 2011

Encourager

Driving across West New Home yesterday, I suddenly realized something. I am a encourager.

Encourage? I find great value and worth in helping others to reach their potential, of seeing in themselves what they are capable of (what I already see in them). It brings me joy - great joy - see someone whom I have encouraged succeed as I knew they would.

I don't precisely know what to do with this discovery at the moment - all I can tell you is that I get some of the greatest pleasure I know in interacting with others - mostly close friends (and who would have thought that I would enjoy speaking with people!) - helping them to succeed at their dreams and goals.

Even in my daily job, I find myself spending 20-30% of my job effectively counseling and encouraging my fellow employees, working to keep spirits up and give them a place to vent their frustrations and worries (I've argued for years now that this is at least part of my daily job function).

How do I go from here? Well, the one thing it suggests is that if I am fulfilled by it and if I am making an impact with it (hopefully I am), then I should find a way to do more of that and less of the stuff that I don't enjoy doing so much. Life Coach? (Silverline's thought on the matter) Not sure - marketing and building a network are not my greatest skills aCheck Spellingnd I always have the concern of working for myself (even though ironically that is what I really want to do).

At the same time, if you find something you're good at, how long do wait before you do something about? Or in other words, if I can encourage others, why can't I encourage myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!