Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Homeward Bound

And so today I'm homeward bound.

I have been looking forward to - indeed, anticipating this trip for some months. This will be the first return to Old Home since July of this year - almost 6 months. I'm eager to see family, see friends, see the Ranch.

It's odd having your geographical heart in two places at the same time. On the one hand, there is much to like about New Home. On the other hand, Old Home continues to call to me, virtually every day. In seasons one thinks "This is what Old Home looks like now"; in shopping "I wonder if X has that - they usually did"; in people "I miss Y; I wonder what they're doing now."

There are good reasons to be here in New Home now, not the least of which is that I have a job (never underestimate the power of a paycheck). At the same time, family and friends and the very land itself are not things that can (or should) be easily forgotten.

Will the two ever merge? Will New Home and Old Home simply become home? Unknown. Perhaps someday the home of my choosing and the home of my heart will become one. Until then I will dream, write, and travel to merge the two as much as is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!