Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Dream of Glue, Cell Phone, and Plastic Parts

One of the most vivid dreams I have had in a while, certainly the first one in a while I can remember.

I was at company meeting which for some reason had to occur over a weekend.  There were a number of people there I recognized - not the whole company, but enough of senior management.  The person in charge, from our legal department, was going through a presentation.  The point of it was that a project we had been working on - a project that had failed - still had to be closed out.  The meeting was to cover the list of things that needed to be written or completed to make that happen.

At that, the meeting broke up and we were walking down a residential street with door opening onto the street.  I stopped to tie my shoe at one and kicked the door frame.  It looked to me like I might have cracked it but I could not be sure.  Suddenly the door opens and the resident, an older fellow, looks out.  I had apparently accidentally knocked the door.  We briefly talk - and I say nothing about the door frame.  Maybe it was that way, I reason to myself.

We walk farther, and then I am caught by another man and his wife.  Can I make a cell phone call for them, they ask?  Certainly - but it is not a cell phone call.  Apparently they need me to take a picture - but they need me to make a picture in order to take it.  I see  a bus in the distance with all of the people from work on it, ready to go.  It will only take a few minutes, I say to myself.  So I start forming letters on a jacket they have given me with glue and small plastic things.

It is taking a long time.  My letters are not perfect, I have to ask them at least once what the phone number needs to be - all the time I can see the bus there, waiting.  I run out of letters and space, and am trying to spell the word "key" and failing.  I have the thought of why did I not just use plastic letters instead of trying to spell things out, but keep trying.  The bus is still waiting.  Finally they bring me more things to work with and I lay the jacket down - on a red Mustang cover, like the one I used to have to finish.  As I am working on it, I hear a group of people coming up.  Some of them start arguing with the people next to where we are about something I cannot understand while others are prompting me to "hurry up, hurry up, we need to go".  "Wait"  I say, "I'm almost done".  I lay the jacket out and take the picture - only to turn and see that they have driven off.

The last thing I remember is the couple thanking me and the next thing I know it is dark and I am at a place with bent over sign poles, waiting for another bus.  "Why are you here?"  the couple who I called for asks me.  "Because I missed the bus" I reply.

And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!