Monday, February 04, 2013

Non-resolution

There is nothing worse that being consumed by a problem that you cannot resolve.

This is what ended up consuming me last week, turning all of my attention inward, ensuring that I was essentially unable to work on anything else.  By the time Friday rolled around I was mentally and physically exhausted, wrapped up in a battle that I was not fighting with the problem but within myself - a battle that I simply cannot win.

It confused me a bit when I finally was able to sit and look at it relatively rationally on Sunday.  After all, how could something that I thought I could impact end up being such a dead end, leaving me exhausted (and incredibly upset)?  One is supposed to take action on one's problems; what happens if by taking action it simply means you do nothing at all?

The same story awaits me this week as it did last week.  The problem is still there and it still won't go away.  What will I do?  Will I seek to attempt to manage it via my emotions and energy and become the same person that I was last week?

No.  That simply won't do. 

Instead - at least for this problem - it is time to finally acknowledge the fact that there is simply nothing to be done about it in my power.  All I will be able to do go through my day head down, eyes on my tasks, setting emotion aside until I reach the end of my day, when I can begin to spend time and energy on that which is important.

That which we cannot change, we must endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!