Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Future

Nighean gheal and I had a brief interesting dicussion on the future. It began when nighean bhan asked what a fortune teller was. I told her it was someone who purported to tell the future, and that we, as Christians and followers of Jesus, were not to engage in such practices (Deuteronomy 18: 9-14, Isaiah 8: 18-19). Only God knows the future, I told her.

Then nighean gheal said "Sometimes I think that the future won't be good." I responded "Yes, but we know God is there through it. He says He will always be with us." "I'll try and remember that" she said, and then we had moved on.

Good enough, and I hope she does - but do I?

I get terribly upset and concerned about things over which I have no control. I worry about the future world of my children. But do I account for God in the future? Do I try and remember that?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:11 AM

    The point is that, at the end of the day, our real knowledge of the future is no more certain with historical analysis than with bone-tossing. We can pretend to know what will come, but that creates barriers to God. Ceding God our confidence about the future gives us confidence in today, which is what we are given. No tomorrows until they become today. Don't worry, friend. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow,for tomorrow will worry aobut its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own troubles." (Matthew 6:34)

    My problem is always my lack of faith - I believe in the goodness of God and accept that what will occur is for His glory and my good, but so often lack the confidence that it is what I can handle. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a wimp that way.

    Thank you for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!