Monday, April 11, 2016

A Sudden Flash Of Understanding

So I have been trying to work on my skills outside of my career.  Call it work, call it "handyman", call it trying in baby steps to start to practice some of what I want to do - I am trying.  It is a bit hard though, as opportunities seem to be few and far between in my real life.
Today, at the Shelter, I was asked to help build some wheeled bases to replace some that were either undersized or simply not fit for purpose.  Initially I was doubtful - after all, it involved power tools and measuring and cutting and putting things together, things that I am not usually comfortable with.  Still, the animals need the help (after all), and that is what we are there for.

So I measured and cut and screwed boards together.  Put casters on the bottom to allow them to roll.  Had a young man helper who I am pretty sure had never seen a power tool in his life, so I got to show him how to measure and cut and screw things together.

Bottom line:  Got two new bottoms completely built and converted two to smaller units.  Cleaned up, put things away, and carried on.

And then suddenly the thought occurred to me:  I was doing exactly what I wanted to be doing.  I was using knowledge that I had to accomplish putting something together.  They worked.  Heck, I even got to show someone else how to do it.

I do not know that I could make a living at this and still have a very long way to go.  But it is kind of a nice feeling to realize - even accidentally - you are on the road you intended to be on.

6 comments:

  1. To fulfill one's purpose brings a great sense of peace and satisfaction. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool that you enjoy the work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about working with your hands that makes the time pass. I am involved enough that I am paying attention but not stressed. Certainly one is not terribly conscious about time.

      Delete
  3. TB - your work at the shelter, and the fact that you enjoy it, is a gift in and of itself. but the fact that you tackled a job that you weren't sure of, were successful AND taught someone else those skills - that is so very rewarding and i am very proud of you for tackling it and doing it. you should feel very good about yourself right now and in moments of doubt - reflect upon this very feeling. my hat is off to you Sir and jam says "great job, man!".

    sending much love. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kymber. I have an inherent mistrust of my ability to do things and certainly worry that I will make a mistake doing them. The fact that it all worked out so well was a pleasant surprise.

      Much Love, TB

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!