Friday, January 17, 2014

Why Now?

This week as I was surfing around the industry papers I found a reference to a company which had purchase the rights to the product that the company I was employed with was working when I got laid off and ended up in New Home.  It seems that one of the products we had in-house has been put through another round of testing and has been found to have a significant impact on the life of cancer patients - so significant, in fact, that they stopped the trial early.

Of course one is gratified when any advance is made and cancer and, since I still know some of the people who work there, I am happy for them.  But then the question crept into my head:  " Why Now?"

Why now?  Why not 5 years ago, when the layoffs happened (actually 5 years ago next week)?  Especially given the issues that I am having now, why could not the trial have been effective then?  So much would be different.

To be fair, when I say this I have to admit that I am biased.  I am seeing everything through the lens of  a single point of dis-satisfaction - perhaps the only point of dis-satisfaction - my job.  It ignores all of the good - and there has been good, so much of it that it has impacted every member of this household with the opportunities that have been afforded, the friends made, the activities undertaken.  In so many ways we have done so much differently - and hopefully for the better - since the move.

And the job?  I have to believe that if all else has gone as well as it did, the job will work itself out in some form or fashion as well.  The answer is here somewhere - I just have to find it.

So I managed to accept (perhaps not as gracefully as I should have) the success of my former product and company.  In fact, there is some joy to be taken in that in some small way, I may have contributed to a product that could help the lives of others.

All that and iaijutsu and Highland Athletics.  Life is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!