Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Contentment

I'm struggling today Lord, with contentment.
Life is not really bad, it just feels really busy.
I keep finding things that are falling off my list
of things I want to do,
replaced by that which must be done.
I wake up each morning thinking not
"What can I do today to move forward?" but
"What bits of myself do I get to keep?"

You say that Godliness with contentment is great gain;
sometimes if feels very hard to be content in the midst
of a growing workload and homeload and shrinking time.
How is it that I try to meet all my obligations
and the only person that seems to lose out is me?

Maybe there's something I'm supposed to learn here,
some lesson of diligence or patience;
the thing that bugs me is that maybe there's not
and the thing I am supposed to be learning I'm completely missing,
buried in the trivia of every day.

If I am meeting my obligations and the expectations of others,
why don't I feel better?
Is contentment being happy with what you have
or merely the acceptance of what is?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!