Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Time To Move On

It is time to move on in my career.

The parting shot has slowly been building all week. With the big push of the recent months past, work has slowed down considerably - considerably enough that I am re-engaged in the very bottom layer of tasks on my "To Do" list, the sort of mind numbing tasks like cleaning out documents to check if they are still in process and deleting or pushing them through.  Important work some say; painful underutilization of my skills, says I.

But the final blow seems to have come yesterday.

My dear friend Nighean Ruadh was notified that after a year on the job, she is doing such a good job that they are adding to her job duties.  They like and trust her and like her attitude and are willing to have her do more for the company.  Very exciting stuff and I am very proud of her.

Then came the sinking realization that I have not had a new job responsibility in four years.

Think of that.  Four years and no change in my job.  No increase in responsibilities.  No real new talents or skills acquired.  Just four years - six years all old - of essentially treading career water, hoping against hope that either I would move to the next level or find something else that would move me there.   If you have followed my blog long enough, you know that precisely neither of those two things have happened.

So where to now?

I keep finding other things to do with my energy. Part of it, I know, is that I simply like doing other things than work anyway.  But if I am brutally honest with myself, I think part of it is the fact that I simply do not want to start the painful effort of a sustained job search that results in a job.

It is hard.  It is painful.  It requires hours that I would like to spend doing other things.  And in my case, it will require the effort of retooling my resume to make it non-career specific in hopes that I can move out in something more as my chances in my industry here are limited.

I do not want to do this.  My soul shudders as I think of the undertaking and the multiple rejections I am sure to take.

But then I think of my friend and realize that if I want that feeling of recognition and doing more, I am going to have to something different.

Because this is sure not working.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!