Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Home Made

I like things - mostly food and drink - that I make myself.

Oh, not just prepare myself.  Make myself.  Like as in brewing or cheesemaking or growing the garden and then consuming.

I realized this last night as I pulled three jalapenos off of the pepper plant they were growing on and placed them on the counter.  I like that feeling.  Or the feeling that I got after I put my two cans of beets up that I grew in my garden and processed.  Or considering the cheese that I will have to wax before I go on vacation, to preserve it for when I get back.

I have tried to transfer this to other potential handmade activities but always seem to derive the most enjoyment from this.  Partially, I suppose, because I like to eat and drink.   But I wonder if partially that food and drink is such a practical thing.  It feeds the body - and if made by one's self, it feeds the self as well.

I will admit that my imagination is always fired by the idea of doing something handmade, like blacksmithing or woodworking (two things that I do not do), but it is most fired by consideration of other ways I can make food and drink.

Perhaps here lies a potential clue in what I should be looking to do?

Hard to say at the moment of course - my area of operation is small and my time is limited.  But there is little that thrills my heart more than being out working in the garden or preparing something in the kitchen, something that I know I will be the direct recipient of.

There is nothing more tasty than food provided and prepared by yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately there is rarely any money or security in handmade stuff. I think that will change sooner than most believe so having the skills now is a good thing.

    But ya still need a job damnit :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always the problem, right Preppy? The security would be more my concern than the money. I suppose my realization was that of all the things that I think I want to do or learn, I find growing and preparing food to be one of the most rewarding - mostly, I suppose, because I like to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!