Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Roles

Okay. It's a New Year (Okay, technically, we're three months in). Time to pick up where we left off in December about New Year's Resolutions and getting moving on the path of living (yes, I know I'm late to the party. Cut me a bit of slack here. It's been a confused quarter).

The motivator? Twofold: 1) Lus a' Chrom Chinn and here suggestion of articles at http://www.artofmanliness.com/.
2) The realization that I am at the whim of events rather than controlling them.

The basis for today's study will be the article Craft the Life You Want: Creating a Blueprint for Your Future at the http://www.artofmanliness.com/ by Brett McKay (proprietor of the site). To start: decide on your roles.

Well, that was quite a thing. Make a list of each and every role that you fill, and then number them based on importance. A fairly simple task to start out with, but as I completed the list I realized that there was a lot more going on in my life that I thought.

My list (in no particular order):
- Husband
- Father
- Son - Brother
- Friend
- Manager
- Employee
- Counselor
- Author
- Gardener
- Swordsman
- Renter
- Musician
- Dreamer
- Entrepreneurial Agriculturalist
- Disciple
- Scholar

That's 17 for those of you without a program. 17 different roles? Ye saints and martyrs! No wonder I feel pulled in 52 (well, really 17) different directions. That's a heck of a lot of roles to fill in one individual.

Some of them are less difficult, of course (Renter: Pay rent on time, make sure yard looks good, take care of house). Some of them (Father of three girls) are so freakishly complex they make my head spin. Some of them (Swordsman) are possibly impractical (except for what I learn from them). And some of them (Entrepreneurial Agriculturalist) are remarkably in the future.

But if I look at that list, that's probably right. I'm a sum total of 17 different parts of my life. Great. Now that I've made the list, what do I do with it? Prioritize, of course. List which are more important and which are less so - and then I'll look to see if some can be combined/cut.

But that's for tomorrow. For today, what are the roles that you play?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!