Saturday, September 26, 2026

The Winds Of September

 Autumn arrived fully this week, almost on cue with the Autumnal Equinox.

The trees that lined the avenue I drive to for work went yellow almost over night and suddenly a blanket of yellow leaves just seemed appear on the sidewalk and grass surrounding them.  Yesterday a landscape crew was diligently working to remove them, the first of what likely be several trips there until bare branches clutch at the grey sky.

Our last day about 80 F/26 C happened on this past Monday, leaving descending days of in the 70's and 60's predicted for the next 10 days - which will firmly put us into October.  And yesterday evening the rain blew in and then blew in again this morning, driven by the Winds of September, leaving the sort of day that makes one simply want to stay indoors with a book and an orange cat and grey rabbit and a cup of coffee and read.

There is a certain sad elegance to it all, the closing down of Nature's stall for the Winter.

---

The greyness of the sky with the brighter points of leaves reaching their final glory matches the sense of my soul.

This week was a series of conversations - deep conversations that I did not anticipate having with a wide range of people over some rather weighty subjects:  religion, core values, commitment, senses of responsibility to myself and others, the possibility of retirement.  All thoughtful conversations, all conversations that needed to happen at some level.

I had asked God this week for guidance.  What I received was less of the guidance of sunlight Summer Day with a clear and dry path and more of an Autumnal walk, the path present but obscured by falling leaves amid the puddles and and fallen branches, whipped along by a wind that comes from and goes to a place I do not know.

It is not, I suspect, that the guidance is not there.  It are somehow wrapped up in this season of preparation and readiness and the slow shedding of glories.

---

Autumn, of course, brings its own joys:  leaves that burn with colour in the sun before their final bow, rains that fly and swirl and recharge the ground, squirrels working hard on their last preparations, a few remaining brilliant sunsets before grey becomes The Colour Of The Day.  It allows - at least for me - a certain focus as well:  the garden will essentially be done, sword training will likely be all indoors.  The earlier dark and cold makes for a convenient excuse to finish the reading and writing that I have chosen as part of the educational life.

And like the shutting down of trees, I now have the strands of conversation and thought to bear with me into the coming Winter, to be mulled upon and sit in silence with like trees under the battering rain and blowing wind.

 And then, like the flowers and leaves, to burst into life and colourful glory in the Spring.

8 comments:

  1. It has been kind of a different fall experience than normal for me. Usually as summer transitions into fall, I am a flurry of activity, enjoying the cooler days filled with sunshine to accomplish things. But for the past two weeks, we've been getting frequent drizzles that last for hours every day and the ten day forecast if more of the same. I am struggling to find my motivation to do things and instead have been doing things like reading and traveling via the internet. I am enjoying the cooler weather though after the very hot start we had at the end of August and first part of September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - I am not surprised you have changed up your routine given the Summer you have related. And drizzle makes it hard for motivation to do much except read (for me, anyway). Knowing you, it will not last a great deal of time and you will be catching up before true Winter arrives.

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:47 AM

    Just a few trees showing traces of colors TB, mostly patches of orange and yellow along with fewer reds. Morning lows in the fifties and daily highs in the sixties and very low seventies. Humidity seems to show up only with forecast rain which is supposed to happen more frequently in the coming days since we're down over six and a half inches of precipitation since January first. Best time of the year in my book save for the lessening of daylight. The one good thing about Winter is that there are fewer folk walking on the path around the lake, most are warm weather walkers. Your blog does give you another chance to share thoughts sir........:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - I am honestly surprised that our leaves are farther along than yours, given that we are (I think) close in latitude anyway).

      I may have slightly spoken out of turn: we seem to have one more 80 F day in the 10 day forecast. But it was a chill 44 F this morning when I walked.

      Honestly, I have viewed this blogged as a sort of second personal journal for years.

      Delete
  3. How often does the weather sync with the calendar! Our big weather change arrived the day after the calendar noted the equinox. The trees still show no sign of changing yet, but all the critters are friskier. I noticed the crickets were chirping at a slower pace this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I have no idea if this is "normal" for New Home 2.0 or not, but we had noticeable changes both at the start of the month and the equinox. It reminds me that people once upon a time set their clocks by seasons for a reason.

      Delete
  4. A most articulate and very colorful first person narrative of autumn’s arrival and the coming of winter…

    An invitation to “be still and know”.

    It’s evident that you enjoy creative wordsmithing!

    (A personal Musha Shugyo journey in the spirit of Demosthenes, if you will.))

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B!

      I have an unhealthy love of words, both in English and in other languages. At least it keeps me off the streets.

      The continuing nature of my Musha Shugyo is something that actually came up during my reflection on my hike. The idea of pilgrimage is one I am grappling with now.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!