Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2026

A Year Of Kindness (XXXV): The Secretly Kind

 


One of the most memorable fictional characters I can think of from high school is Boo Radley in Harper Lee's novel To Kill A Mockingbird.  Radley is a character most do not know about: seldom seen, shy and awkward, he is a silent presence looms as a sort of dark image throughout most of the bok.  By the end of the story, we find out that Radley was also a purveyor of small gifts and ultimately, the saver of a life. 

How often I mistake kindness as something that only comes from a certain kind of people, or do not expect it from certain people.

Kindness knows no personality borders.  There is no "base case" for whether someone can or cannot practice kindness based on their outward demeanor or personality.

Sometimes they simply struggle to relate to people.  Sometimes they can generally interact only one way most of the time.  Everyone is indeed fighting battle, and many times we know nothing about it.

So I have tried to rectify this in myself.  I have tried to remain neutral in terms of "if someone is capable of kindness" based on how they generally act.

Funny story that goes along with that:  people have surprised with their kindness in ways that I never might have imagined based on their general actions and personality.

Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy to people practicing kindness to others.

1 comment:

  1. Kindness, if rendered anonymously, both for free and for fun ,can be immensely satisfying and nourishing to the soul.

    Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!