Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2026

2026 Mt. Whitney Hike: Postscript: The Path Ahead

 Friends - Thanks again for coming along with me on my 2026 Hike to Mt. Whitney.



I offer that thanks sincerely.  I have become - since I started writing up my travels as part of this blog - a better writer and a better traveler overall.  Knowing that I will be writing about my travels makes me attentive to them in a way that I might not have always been. It is not quite "I have to explain my time away" as much as "Let me tell you what I learned while I was away."

For this, I am grateful.



I am also immensely grateful to our guide Rainbow Bright's initial admonition to "Be Present".  Making an active effort to focus on being in the moment where I was - and choosing to think about a different aspect of hiking every day - made this hike different in a way I have not experienced on other hikes.  Arguably, I have come away different in a way that has not happened in other hikes.



But - perhaps obviously, based on my mediations - I need to activate those musings in active awareness.

Having climbed Mt. Whitney for the second time (and endured less than ideal weather conditions), I need to remind myself of the importance of endurance (Vincit qui patitur: He who endures, conquers).  I am not capable of everything, but I am capable of far more than I think I can do.

The only thing that can impede our will, says Epictetus, is our will itself.



Also, having climbed Mt. Whitney for the second time (and endured less than ideal weather conditions), I need to incorporate that sense of being fearless in the face of people into my daily work and personal life as well.  People with their opinions and their feelings cannot hurt me; if nothing else, they do not have the possibility of casting me down from the mountain.



Am I a through hiker, someone who enjoys weeks or months on the trail?  Not really; this trip confirms that.  8 days is a long time (for me) to be out.  I love the outdoors and I love what I have seen; I likely will love it just as much with shorter excursions (but hopefully in the years to come, more of them).



Where to next year?  That is undetermined at this point. We have left the choice to The Fiancé as he was unable to come this year - although to be honest, if we had a hike with Rainbow Bright and Garbage Woman again, that would be amazing.  They are great and thoughtful guides; the fact they can keep me alive on the trail is equally appreciated.


I remain your most Humble and Obedient Servant,

Toridhealhbheach Beucail

4 comments:

  1. Nylon127:17 AM

    Well TB, Life is a looooong learning process, thanks for the words and visuals on these expeditions of yours. Couple of questions...... that fifth photo, is that a trail guide painted on the granite? Plus no cell service for most of the trip, did the guides have sat phones? Enquiring minds want to know.......:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome, Nylon12!

      1) That is not a trail guide. It is a rock layer in the middle of the granite.

      2) Our guides had both satellite phones as well as their cell phones seemed to be satellite enabled as well. They were constantly in contact with the outside world and could, if needed, get us help. Not on my hikes, but it has happened before.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed taking the trip with you especially realizing that it is not likely someplace I will likely ever get to at this stage in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are of course welcome Ed!

      The Ravishing Mrs. TB and I were talking about places to go the other day. It was kind of that moment that I realized - or maybe reaffirmed - that there simply were places I was never going to get to. And that is okay.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!