Saturday, August 29, 2026

2026 Garden: Mid-Autumn Edition

  Slightly after the middle of Autumn.  I remain remarkably impressed by how any of this is going at all.

The cherry tomatoes remain productive.  Sadly, I failed to take detailed pictures of the Roma tomatoes, although you can see them in the background:


However, there may or may not be spinach growing:


The spinach/leeks planted here have done nothing,


but if you look closely, you will see leeks peeking out below:


The pole beans are starting to fade,


but their pods are drying out:


The buckwheat is still blooming:


My onions are struggling a bit, but still hanging on:


Soybeans:


And I may actually get some corn this year (drying corn, but still corn)!



The volunteer potatoes continue their groove, 



As does what I believe to be my one surviving sweet potato:


For a first year, I am very pleased at the results.

8 comments:

  1. Nylon127:05 AM

    Too bad the spinach will disappoint Popeye TB.......:) Overall more success than not.......remember what was planted where and when for next year, do you get the same plot for next season? Took out most of my potatoes this week, a larger yield than last year despite the drought, woke to rain this morning, first in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I am not sure how it works, honestly. I was hoping to plant Winter grains which (I assume) would mean I need to keep the same plot. I will need to research.

      For all of my complaints, it has been a decent plot - and, knowing what I know now, I can make better decisions.

      Rain for us starts tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Your list of failures seems to be mostly cool season veggies so I'm guessing if you plant them earlier next year, they will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably you are right, Ed. Pulling them in a month cannot harm anything.

      Delete
  3. Second-to-last picture, lower-right corner of frame: Looks like the bulblet head of multiplier/walking onions or garlic. Then...many more in lower left corner when you know what you are looking for. Just sayin' you might have been more successful than you knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ERJ - Walking onions/garlic? That is an interesting idea - I had pulled one earlier, and it did not seem all that "bulby", as it were. I will look again soon.

      Delete
  4. Looks like your garden did quite well. It's still too hot here to think about cool weather planting, but I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh! For all my grousing, this is as good a garden as I have had in years. And knowing what I now know, I bet next year can be better.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!