Multnomah Falls is located in the Columbia Gorge in Oregon, located on Highway 84 between Troutdale and Hood River. The falls are 620 feet high and are the tallest falls in Oregon.

The Multnomah Falls Lodge, originally built in 1925.
Geologists theorize that the Falls formed around 15,000 years ago. The Falls were recorded in 1805 on the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
The Benson Footbridge was built in 1914 to allow access across the river below the Falls.
The Falls flow 1300 feet to Benson Lake.
There is a path that leads to the top of the Falls. It is a total of 11 switchbacks; we made it to the base switchback 6 before turning back. The path gives a great view of the Columbia Gorge.
Reservations are required from May to September for $2.00 through Recreation.gov. Important travel tip: DO NOT follow the phone made to the base of the lodge: the parking is paid and not very much. Stay on I-84 to the parking just off the freeway. Far more convenient.










Back when we visited maybe four years ago now, we just paid to be picked up and dropped off by an outfit that drove old school buses from falls to falls. That worked out great since we were always dropped off right at the base and picked up later when we were ready to go to the next falls. Meanwhile, there would be lines of traffic out on the road qued up on the highway waiting for someone to leave the parking lot so that they could park. Like you, we hiked up a number of switchbacks but didn't make it all the way to the top as we wanted to proceed onward to see other falls before being driven back to our vehicle.
ReplyDelete
DeleteEd, that certainly makes a lot of sense to me. There were plenty of permits when we signed up on Monday, so I was not overly concerned about parking (although it did fill up later).
I will say that there are several other falls along the Columbia Gorge. Bridal Veil Falls is equally as lovely.
I think the bus outfit we used took us to five or six of the different falls, Bridal Veil being one of them. I would have to look up my blog post on the matter to identify the others. I think one was called Horsetail but am fuzzy on the other two or three.
DeleteEd, I know there are some in either direction. The first time we did this, we took the Old State Highway from Troutdale, which went by at least one.
DeleteThat's quite the drop there TB, the roar of water comes across really well. Minnehaha Falls over in Minneapolis is only a 53 foot drop. Nice change of pace scenery views.......:)
ReplyDeleteNylon12 - It does make me wonder about the other falls that I have seen on my hikes. Thunder Falls has no estimate and Deer Creek Falls is estimated at 174 ft. It is odd: Deer Creek seemed so much higher to me than that.
DeleteMy biggest prior to my visit to the falls described in this post was Hemmed In Hollow falls in the Buffalo River National Park. I think it is around 210 feet in a single vertical drop.
DeleteEd, you remind me we saw several in Iceland as well. The one that sticks in my mind most of all is Skogafoss - which is apparently 197 feet high (and can also be ascended to the top).
DeleteLooks like a spectacular place to visit. One I'd want to visit often.
ReplyDeleteLeigh, it was. By luck or by fate, it was not terribly crowded.
DeleteWe have so much beauty that is easily accessible here, without ever needing to go overseas if one wished.