Saturday, October 10, 2026

Adding Value

 We are reaching the point of the year where "Annual Reviews" and "Next Year's Goals" and "Budgets" are starting to enter the chat.

This is by no means a foreign concept of course: I have done this sort of thing for well over 25 years now, the rush at the end of the year to remember all that was done during the year previous, and then - as a manager - to help people remember what they did during the year and what they will need to accomplish during the next year.

The timelines change - they always do; my current company does not have corporate goals until well into December and our individual goals are due until March of the following year - but it remains - like the falling of the leaves that are happening as I write this - an annual seasonal event.

That said, this year is - for me - a little more thoughtful.

One of the questions, given what I sense in world around me, is the question of adding value.

---

"Value" can be a subjective measure of course. Some measure it in purely financial terms by what one "brings in" or enables.  Some measure it by the specialized knowledge one has.  Some measure it by those indefinable factors that make work a "better" place.

But businesses, ultimately, need to make a profit to stay in business. And to that sense, those that are there need to - in some form - add value.

There have always been, I suppose, employees that never added value throughout history. That said, when labour is mostly manual or hand-made, it can be pretty clear who is adding value and who is not.  That became - I suspect anyway - much easier as we moved into the mechanized and then digitized environment:  the ability to "look busy" has never been more easy. One can simply sit in front of a screen and for all the world, people think you are doing something important.

Maybe. Maybe you are just checking messages or surfing the InterWeb.

But a strange thing happens when demand sinks and money tightens up:  businesses start to look at the bottom line and results.  They look at things like cost and development time and lead times and returns.  They generate labour models for expected workloads, and begin to carefully look at all those numbers.

The boom in Artificial Intelligence - whether one completely buys into it or just partially - will exacerbate these trends. Absolutely it does not get everything right; it can also automate a lot of simple tasks and provide some level of data analyses that it would take a person hours or days to do.

And companies, in an era of rising expenses and flat earnings. are taking notice.

---

I have taken to asking myself every day as I come in "How am I adding value today?" and as I leave "How did I add value today?"

To be fair, it is a mental exercise for myself at this point: clearly my employer determines the value I add, not me (at least for purposes of employment).  But it is a useful sort of thing to have at one's fingertips in case the question is asked.

My worry is more for many of coworkers, especially those of the younger generation.

For a great many people - and not just the young - there is a sense that a job is owed them simply by their existence, and that once in that job their productivity ("Adding value") is simply their presence there.  The idea that at some point they might have justify their job to the corporate powers that be never occurs to them.  I do not wonder if part of that is a simple failure to see things from the employer's side of the equation.

And the quickest way to attract attention to yourself in economic environments such as the one we are entering is to sit at a desk or on the shop floor, being present - and not much else.

That is not the sort attention it is wise to attract.

8 comments:

  1. I think it is similar to mortality. We all think we are immortal until we experience death. Likewise, they will feel like their presence is valuable until they are let go during the next tough time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is a really good comparison. Fortunately unlike death, it is a lesson that one can recover from and learn.

      You are now sending me down the path of understanding our value.

      Delete
  2. Interesting timing for this post. Yesterday evening, I was thinking along similar lines, although of course, my work context is very different from a place of business. Mine is our homestead. I was looking at our pastures and thinking in terms of improvement and how I feel we have failed our land in that regard. In your terminology, we have not added "value" to the land as much as I'd hoped. It's so very true that "value" is highly subjective, but I think it is applicable to everyone and their situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - Great minds think alike!

      What an interesting application of the idea - and to be honest, something I was thinking about for the garden plot this year. Yes, I came into it late - but did I really do right by it? Like a lot of things in life I am merely a transient holder for the next person and should leave it better than I found it.

      I am curious: did your excurses into adding value to the land give you any pointers for the future? From a remote viewer's point of view, you have done a lot of good since your original move there.

      Delete
    2. TB, I suppose I have to frame my answer in the context of our goals. Our primary goal was to become less dependent on the system and as self-reliant as we are able. That included stewardship. On the other hand, we had some knowledge but very little experience. That meant that everything became an experiment as we learned by trial and error.

      One thing that I think would have helped would have been having access to some heavy equipment, especially for pasture earthworks (swales), planting (no-till seed drill), and being able to mow leaving a 5 to 7 inch height of grass (rather than scalping it like modern mowers do).

      Another challenge was finding a variety of perennial pasture seed locally, except for bermuda and fescue, and shipping is pricey for hundreds of pounds of seed. So it was difficult to establish a perennial polyculture. Rotational grazing works, but it requires extra fencing and extra work to move the stock as often as needed.

      What we couldn't control was weather, so even with good seed, when we had 6 to 8 weeks in the 90s with no rain, survival was difficult. What survived was the hardiest weeds.

      Soil improvement in a garden versus soil improvement in acreage is different. I've made beautiful black soil in my garden beds, but the pasture requires different techniques. For example, green manure works great, but needs the equipment to cut and leave the cuttings to feed the soil. (Again, modern mowers pulverize what they cut and blow the bits to who knows where.)

      We've learned a lot and no, we haven't given up. With Dan's surgery earlier this year we've had to slow down and let a few things go for the time being. But it gives us time to analyze, evaluate, and see what we can do better in the future.

      Delete
    3. Leigh, thanks for the long and thoughtful response.

      I will say that - based on my father's experience - heavy equipment is a game changer. But it has to be justified or reasonable and make sense.

      I sympathize with trying to find the right pasturage - on a much smaller scale, I have never managed to "unlock" a good garden yield. And a lot of it has to do with weather as well - New Home was brutal for gardening and (if I am fair) I did not invest the money/labor that would have been needed to make it work better than it did.

      As you say - we still keep trying though. Because - I suspect - at some level we have to.

      Delete
  3. Nylon126:32 AM

    Being retired... one way of "adding value" is just waking up each morning. Getting older is getting closer to that "checkout date" but giving thanks to God each day I wake up is about the only time I spend dwelling on this aspect. Another way of adding value is treating others as you want to be treated, or volunteering somewhere, hands on helping someone else. Volunteering at a local hospice, driving for the local VA hospital, pitching in at the local animal shelter, the list goes on TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - Thanks for finding the elements I was trying to get to and missed. I wanted to convey that value in the workplace and "value" as a human are two very different things. We as humans are valuable (because we are made in the image of God) and have value outside of anything we might contribute. And as you so rightly point out, there are so many ways to add value.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!