Day 5:
Distance: 9.09 miles
Elevation Gain: 3060 ft.
Distance: 9.09 miles
Elevation Gain: 3060 ft.
Today was a slightly later start: up at 0600, out by 0730. Granola was on the menu for breakfast (see above).
Today would be a day governed by up. Up and up and up from the Kern River Valley floor to Crabtree Meadow, our base camp for the attempt on Whitney.
The trail was a good one, the views looking back were spectacular. This was my strongest day yet on the hike. Even though I was still at the rear of the pack, I felt pretty good my my climb.
Lunch was - once again - one of my favorites: Tuna packet with sunflower seeds, Italian dressing, and cranberries. Rainbow Bright calls this "Hiker Trash Lunch" which is apparently a bit frowned upon by The Powers That Be. For the record, I enjoy the name.
---
Breath, like steps, are something I tend take for granted in my ordinary life.
I have read of breathing disorders, worked at one company where Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis was the target, read The Plucky Young Smart Kid With The Fatal Disease: A Life With Cystic Fibrosis by the late Dean Barnett (1967-2008). I have at least a functional idea in my head about the impact of not being able to breath well.
But hiking at altitude gives me a whole new appreciation of the process.
Sure, we are likely all familiar with the odd day of a lung infection or when we cannot really catch our breath. But I was pretty rapidly confronted with a series of days that I could not really catch my breath until evening. I would try my technique from my health event on Mt. Goddard: 50 steps, stop, take breaths until I got them back under control, then start again. At some point Rainbow Bright gave me additional advice: slower steps, regulate your breaths so that your inhale and exhale are more equal.
I tried. I really tried. But still I would reach the point where my breaths came in great rasping gasps, my heart pounding, my breathing shallow. And I would stop, count to 10, reorient my breathing back to normal.
Breathing. It is something I do not think about as much as I should, and something I need to think on more often.
---
Our descent after lunch came down through granite and pine forests, which eventually gave way to meadows such as seen above and below. The weather remained a bit on the elevated side - hot, likely only in the high 70's or low 80's, but made more so by the fact we were carrying our homes on our backs.
By 1500 we reached our campsite for the next two days, Crabtree Meadow. At about 12,000 feet, this is the jumping off point for many who attempt the West side of Mt. Whitney. After getting set up, dinner - a beef soup and Jambalaya with salami - was on the menu.
As an public service, I feel bound to report that Crabtree Meadow is also the only location for two days in any direction of a sit-down pit toilet. The toilet has been upgraded: it now has three walls instead of the single back wall it had in 2022.
The new construction:
You cannot truly appreciate this until you have spent days with a trowel and toilet paper in a bag:
The rather scenic view from your perch:
We had a beautiful sunset and a very scenic view. We also had an earlier bedtime.
Mt. Whitney was there in the evening gloaming, waiting for us.
I have to say that I like the daily hike post. It gives a better flow to the experience. I'm glad you tried it.
ReplyDeleteThe scenery continues to be spectacular. I'm sorry to hear about your breathing challenges though. Not being able to catch one's breath can be worrisome.
Leigh - I am glad it is working out. Good to know I can still find ways to innovate in my writing.
DeleteFortunately it was not breathing challenges plus altitude sickness. But it does show a weak spot in my training I need to rectify.
Magnificent scenery TB, quite the photos there and biggest gain in elevation yet, small wonder breathing became so important. That last photo..."waiting for us" ....could almost hear the screech of Godzilla filling the air.....:)
ReplyDeleteThanks Nylon12. Glad the pictures are conveying what I would like to convey.
Delete"Looming". As one draws closer, it begins to fill one's mind. It made me realize that when Tolkien talked about how Mt. Doom filled Frodo's mind, he got it right.
I have heard of people cracking ribs trying to breath on hikes so I know how bad it can be for some.
ReplyDeleteI remember during our Grand Canyon river orientation they showed a large ammo can with a toilet seat that was going to be our bathroom for the trip. I was pleased but was definitely in the minority. Most of them were appalled and one lady said she would just use the restrooms when available and then left when told there were no restrooms anywhere along the river. I guess I've spent too much time with a shovel and toilet paper in a plastic bag.
Ed - I have never heard of that before, but given my own experiences, it seems completely believable. You cannot appreciate how hard it is to breathe until you cannot.
DeleteThe "How you do your business on the trail" Item is something that I suppose everyone is initially confronted with when they start hiking. Some of us adapt and learn to deal with it, others just never seem to be able to make the jump. I will say it's not my most favorite thing in the world, but it's amazing what you can do when you have to.
I agree with Leigh on the day-to-day presentation of your hike. Feel like I’m in your boots. Your unfortunate breathing difficulties reminded me of a passage in the book, Into Thin Air. I remember reading it at night, in bed, and Krakauer was so splendid in his description of breathing difficulties that I found myself gasping out loud for a breath!
ReplyDeleteUpon coming into an alpine meadow have you ever burst into the Sound of Music song…🎶”The hills are alive…🎶”?
Regarding your food, about how many calories a day do they provide? Do you carry any sustenance in your own pack?
Seeing that 3-walled toilet I would’ve thought I found the promised land!
AnonJ - I am glad the format is working out. It is a little different than what I have done for other hikes.
DeleteI have not read Into Thin Air but we have it at home and I should probably pick it up. Given my recent experience, it sounds like I can identify a little bit with it.
It is interesting you made a reference to The Sound of Music. One of our guides did as well at one of the meadows.
I do not know how to effectively answer the question of calories. All I can tell you is that it is something that we do not count at all when we are hiking. The only point of reference I have is that I seemed to neither gain nor lose weight between the time I left and the time I got back. The food for the hike is distributed among bear cans, which all of us carry as part of our gear.
After five days on the trail, a sitting toilet is indeed the Promised Land!
My goodness, did they run out of wood for a fourth wall on the toilet? Even hanging a sheet would be nice. I don’t mind using the woods to poop, but I wouldn’t want to be on a stage doing it!
ReplyDeleteMy first thought was where is the top? Open to any rain cloud that comes along.
DeleteN_H, if it is helpful, there is a certain etiquette you follow when you are coming up to that particular location. You can clearly see whether or not someone is.present. Nonetheless, you clearly annunciate your arrival and wait to make sure no one is present. Courtesy suggests you turn with your back to the stall until people are finished with their business.
DeleteAnon - Open to any raincloud indeed. Also, makes for a pretty cold seat early on cold mornings.
Delete