More from our Hop On - Hop Off bus tour:
An Audi dealership - not in itself remarkable, but not something I expected to see in an avowedly Communist country:
The "War" museum. Our guide recommended not going unless you wanted a very particular view of history:
Emblems and reminders of the government of Vietnam were not necessarily everywhere, but they were present.
Hammer and sickle on that poster plus Red, even the bus seats.....what a surprise in a Communist country TB.
ReplyDeleteNot terribly surprising, Nylon12. The propoganda-ish nature of it did surprise me a bit though - that is definitely the sort of thing from a previous era.
DeleteI have read that even though Vietnam is a communist country, that have embraced a market driven economy for awhile to pull them out of the poverty that they had been living in. I've heard it has been quite successful as evident by the Audi dealer you saw.
ReplyDeleteEd, as the pictures hopefully convey, this is relatively evident, at least in Saigon. I would argue Hanoi showed less of this.
DeleteAppears to be a nicely modern city, even with the political decor.
ReplyDeleteLeigh, if you removed the political propaganda and "erased" the people from the photos, I suspect many people would be hard pressed to identify where the city was. Certainly U.S. cities show the same degree of excess and poverty.
Delete