Monday, November 27, 2017

One Of Those Days

Yesterday was one of those work days where you just crawl home hoping nothing else can go wrong.

Oh, I had the greatest of intentions when I showed up, of course.  I was coming off of four days of no work.  What was there that could possibly go wrong?

Well, the wireless, for one. And then the whole stinking network.  And the five things I had to get to instead of the five things that I wanted to get to done.  By the time I left, the greatest victories of the day I could point to was changing a battery to fix a mouse and getting the document I had started working on at 0830 done by the time I left in the evening.

It was not, on the whole, a very encouraging day.  It is the sort of day, in fact, that makes me seriously question what I am doing and why.

There are some days that I feel like I am actually making a difference - in some cases, a life changing one.  But more often than not - and more often than not lately - it feels a great deal more like I am just scrambling to accomplish a series of tasks only to find another series of tasks behind them to be accomplish - perhaps, it might be argued, an unending series of small tasks leading to something that I cannot fully visualize.

I am finding this somewhat problematic.

I am hopeful (but not overly so) that tomorrow will be different.  But even at its best, I am still looking 6 months out and seeing more and more things stretching out over a timeline I cannot seem to see the end of.

Building things is nice.  But sometimes you need to see something you built.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!