Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Spring Break Morning

It is Spring Break here.  The house is eerily quiet at this hour of the morning.

Usually it would be filled with the sounds of preparation for school and work:  coffee would be brewing, breakfast would be cooking, semi-conscious child would be stumbling around getting ready as the alarm was going off in another's room as she slept through it.

Instead, nothing.

Syrah the Mighty sighs and rolls over to one side.  The rabbits gently crunch away at their pellets.  My clicking of the keyboard, of course.  But other than that, nothing.

I do not quite know why I am so attuned to the silence this morning - maybe simply because I have become so used to such sounds of late that their absence is completely jarring.  Or perhaps there is something in my soul that is craving the silence that it hears at the moment.

All will be back to normal soon enough, of course:  Spring Break will pass and we will lurch into the last part of the school year.  But there is a hint here of a future which is coming all to soon, a future in which the silent morning will become every morning, not just the one's around Spring Break.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing better than silence for collecting your thoughts TB, that's why I like disappearing off the map though the woods are never truly silent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is odd John - I do not know why I was so conscious of the silence yesterday as I was. It is not the first time that I experienced quiet in the morning. But it was significant for some reason.

      And yes, the woods are truly never silent. Just cleansed of the noise of civilization.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!