Monday, March 07, 2016

Political Season: A Fine And Pleasant Idiocy

So this political cycle, perhaps for the first time ever, I actually followed a candidate.

It was driven by some vestigial sense of caring, of believing that somehow my involvement might matter.  I signed up for the the mailing list - which one?  I do not know that it really matters as I suspect they are all the same - and waited.

If I had believed the political discourse of this nation was done before, I am convinced now.

The e-mails have only one of two themes:

1)  Give money.

2)  Help us beat the other person because our candidate is the only one that can unite America (oh, and give money).

That is about it.

I receive breathless updates about how the candidate has done this or that, how this candidate took it to the others in the debate, how this candidate showed they were "the one"  (Shades of Highlander) to win.  All (apparently) in the vain hopes to get me to give more money, for which a link is helpful provided every time.

No discussion of the issues.  No plans.  No engagement.  Just

1)  Give money.

2)  Help us beat the other person because our candidate is the only one that can unite America (oh, and give money).

I am done now, convinced that no matter who takes the office of President in November little will change.  Because I do not matter, really, and neither do you.  The point of citizens, apparently, is to simply give money at the appropriate time, vote, and then quietly trust that the folks we elected will do what they say.  Mind you, most of their attention has already moved to the next election:

1)  Give money.

2)  Help us beat the other person because our candidate is the only one that can unite America (oh, and give money).

I sincerely question that I will ever see national politicians worthy of the title "Leader" again in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!