Friday, March 11, 2016

Less Social Media, Not More

I have to keep reminding myself:  less social media, not more.
I let myself get soft and comfortable.  I like to post things that people like.  I like to be involved in conversations.  I like to post things that influence people's lives.

And then something happens and suddenly  I remind myself why I do not do it more often.

I have managed to cull down my presence on-line to a smaller and smaller circle of notice.  I should remind myself to make it smaller.  Not because I am afraid that I am going to be singled out by the vast government conspiracy - no, I should think that they already have whatever they would need.  Instead, I need to do it because I need less aggravation in my life, not more.

And every time I post and something gets misinterpreted or goes awry, I feel my anxiety level rise. And remind myself again I really need to do something about it.

6 comments:

  1. Tis an easy answer I found with social media... say what I want to when I want to but expect nothing back. Tis like me blog if folk enjoy my drivel then they can read away if not well they don't have to. Simple...like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough John. Oddly enough I have two on-line presences: my "actual" presence and this one on my blog. In a lot of ways my blog is a great deal more me in that I write much more personally that I do outside of it - safety in anonymity or some such.

      That said, I find it hard to let go of what others think of me or how they respond to me. Too much considered with their opinions, I suppose. Need to get over that.

      Thanks! - TB

      Delete
  2. I stay away from FB like the plague. Does blogging count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my world it does not - that is why I actually do it. I am down to an e-mail account, a Twitter Account, Facebook, and this blog. I do not think I can get by without the e-mail (but I can try, I suppose). Twitter is largely underused at this point by myself anyway. Facebook...good for family updates. Have to remind myself that is the point of it.

      As our pastor said last Sunday, "Facebook is where wisdom goes to die".

      Delete
  3. I had a Facebook account. I found myself having political arguments with total strangers, many of whom assailed me with loving terms such as "bigot," "stupid," "elitist," (hardly, on my salary), and the like, simply because I espoused conservative views. It seem many have learned the art of demonizing anyone who doesn't agree with them quite well. I can do without that... I deleted my account... a liberating experience for sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I am pretty careful not to discuss anything political or religious on Facebook (actually, here too). I have seldom seen an argument go well on-line. It is amazing how easily discussions denigrate into name calling and hurtful language.

      I am not quite to the point of discontinuing Facebook, as it is a handy medium for keeping in touch with our family and some of my more esoteric interests. But in all fairness, I would benefit from spending a whole lot less time there.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!