Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Humility

I am not a very humble person.

This is something I am trying to work on - indeed, this is something that I am commanded to work on.  But somehow I seem to constantly coming back to the most basic of lessons.

Humility, in case you have forgotten, is "The quality or state of being humble".  Which leads us to Humble:   "Not proud; not thinking, speaking, or acting  as better than other people."

Which are fine definitions and of course most people would say that they suffer from neither of this - certainly most people do not consider themselves proud and the person who acknowledges how wonderfully better they are than others in public is often ostracized.

But in point of fact, I often operate in a very different way.

Take my average day at work.  My job function is such that I spend most of my time doing something in support of something or someone else.  Do I simply do this without complaint or do I grumble and think that I should be just as recognized as the other person or in fact this task is beneath me?  Or am I willing to do it only when it is for an important person and not everyone - or worse, for someone who I think I should be past and yet seems to have surpassed me?

Or at home.  Same problem, different group of people:  do I demand that I be recognized for my contributions?  Do I sigh when there are certain tasks to do or do I just do them?  Or do I consider my needs to be the overriding ones of the household that should trump all others?

You probably see where this is going.  And it is not pretty.

Beyond just the fact that I am generally a sinner, I think humility is especially hard for me because I have the grand sense that I should be doing something important with my life and that my current tasks and circumstances are such that this is not the case.  The reality is that most of my day is filled with tasks and things to do that never enter the consciousness of most of the people impacted by them - as I have likened before, my job area is what most people consider to be a form of automatic transmission:  best if it is working, better if I do not have to think about it at all.  This makes it hard, especially if one thinks that one should be of greater importance.

The problem - or perhaps better state the reality - is that none of us is called to importance.  We are specifically called to humility.  And so humility literally becomes a day by day activity, every day reminding myself for this day, this time, to be humble.  Not to think of myself as better than others or act in a way that is better than others or to treat myself or my interactions with others as if I am better than them.

I need to be humble.  It is just a shame I am sometimes so terrible at it.

6 comments:

  1. I think we are all terrible at it especially if we feel we are bing taken advantage of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arguably you make a fine point Preppy. Humility is hard enough when I feel like it is for people that respect me; it is almost impossibly difficult when I feel taken advantage of. The problem, at least as I see it, is that I do not get a pass just because that is so. I cannot find (oh, how I have looked) a place in Scripture where humility is contingent on the other party in the relationship.

      Delete
  2. i agree with my dear friend PP above (even tho he's a wiener, i still love him!)

    i don't like the word humble. i really don't like it's meaning. i prefer Grace because everyone of us has Grace...put there by God, whether you believe in God or not. it's there and it's in us. i love meeting Grace-filled (graceful) people...i love to watch them do whatever it is that they are doing with Grace. i try to be as Grace-filled as possible, and as graceful as possible, and as grateful as possible. i love watching my jambaloney feed the birds - he is so graceful! and i love watching him work on the atv or dig trenches - he is becoming more graceful every day! and i hope that i had a little something to do with that.

    you are a good husband and a good father. there is nothing in the world more important, and more graceful, than that!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Kymber! Thank you! That is pretty sweet that Jam likes to feed the birds. The Ravishing Mrs. TB also likes to have a bird feeder near our dining room window so she can watch them. She is especially fond of Cardinals, and we are now fortunate that we live somewhere that we can see them all year long.

    The crux of my problem comes from 1 Peter 5: 5b-7, which says "...and clothe yourselves with humility (tapeinophrosunen) for 'God resists the proud, but gives grace (charin) to the humble (tapeinois - same root).' Therefore humble (tapeinoothete - imperative) yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you."

    Humility here (noun tapeinophorounen) is lowliness of mined, self abasement, the attitude of one who serves, even in the lowliest of tasks. We are to tie (egkomboomai) this attitude on like a work apron that a servant would use. The result? Your word (you made this fun) - charin or charis - grace, undeserved merit or favor.

    Grace and gratefulness pay a huge part - in fact, I have known few people who I have wanted to be around for long periods of time that did demonstrate those traits. At the same time (at least in my own understanding and what I can batter out from from the Greek) I am to have this unassuming attitude of service and servanthood (which I think maybe you are talking about when you write of Jam?). I guess my problem is that I can hold the attitude for periods of time, but it is an effort in which my frustration and anger (and perhaps feelings of humiliation) leak out.

    As always, thank you for your kind words and your encouragement.

    Lhiats, TB

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow! did you knock that out of the park! you can understand that My Uncle Gerald was nuts about Greek translations because he so loved the New Testament! i can't believe that you took as much time as you must have taken to compose this response...My Uncle Gerald would be proud! but i am glad that you got the meaning of Grace.

    being a good husband and a good father and a good provider is mentioned so many times in the Bible...and the word Grace always precedes it or follows it. i do not think that God wants humility - i think he wants us to demonstrate our Grace. we are born with it and it is our choice to demonstrate and use it, or not.

    much love my very entertaining and really deep-thinking friend...always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me smile! Thank you!

    Actually, I thought of your Uncle Gerald as I posted this, mostly because I thought "He would actually be able to respond to this much better than I can." I am not a Greek scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but I did do a self-study course and have both a Greek New Testament and Greek Dictionary so, with time, I can get around.

    (Funny thing - the computer ate my response twice, so it took me three times as long to reply!)f

    Thank you for giving me a new way to think about Grace. As I sit here and think about it (It is early and I have coffee so everything is still theoretical and good at this point) I can see the relationship clearly. Thank you!

    Lhiats, TB

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!