Monday, February 09, 2015

Fear of Strangers

Buried underneath I have a rather unusual fear of strangers.
I am not sure precisely where such a fear comes from.  It is not as if I had some sort of horrible event when I was growing up (I did not) or was mistreated by a random person (never happened) or some other sort of thing that would result in this sort of behavior - good heavens, I probably had more accidental bites and scratches from pets.  But the fear is there, and it manifests itself in strange ways.

I always hang back when I am put in new or social situations, sometimes to the point that they may wonder why the heck I am there anyway.  I find it taxing to actually introduce myself to people and even when I do, I tend to rush through my name.  Engaging in conversation is difficult as well:  partially (I am sure) because I am in many ways unlearned in what most people talk about  socially and partially because I am self conscious about my lack of fitting in.  And part of it, I suppose, is just the issue of wanting to be noticed by others but instinctively, not by making a spectacle of one's self.

Part of it too - if I am honest - is the fear of rejection and hatred of criticism.

I hate rejection.  I hate being rejected.  It has always been an issue, to the point that I will not try things rather than try them and be rejected.  Some people - I suppose many successful people - have learned how to deal with this and move on with their lives.  For whatever reason (and perhaps this is worthy of additional thought) I struggle deeply with this.

Criticism is an extension of rejection.  Criticism I fear because what is criticized is usual what one has poured their lives into - a project, a work, an extension of one's self.  To have something criticized feels like all has been ignored except for what is right.

I have to be fair - maybe I have been on the wrong end of these before.  Like many other things, criticism and rejection and joining groups can be a useful and helpful activities if the way it is handled is appropriate - for example, I have never (that I can recall) been hurt or put to shame by any constructive criticism offered by anyone watching me throw in Highland Events - partially, I suppose, because the intent there was never to wound but only to improve.

I am getting better.  I am more likely to talk to people when I go new places and sometimes will even talk to people before they have talked to me.  The criticism is still an issue - I try not to take it personally but it still hovers in the back of my mind and chews at me if I do not take it in hand.  But every now and again I completely freeze, tormented by the thought of the unknown and what might happen as represented in the form of someone I do not know.

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say I fear strangers but I do hang back in social settings until I get the lay of the land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you are right Preppy. For me, it is just more of a sense of feeling like I do not quite fit right in. I admire people that can enter a room and immediately engage others. It is a skill I do not have.

      Delete
  2. Hey, maybe you just inherently don't like most people. Nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an introvert by nature Harry, forced to live and work in an extrovert world. It is not that I inherently do not like them per se, it is just that I find long periods of time with people I do not know exhausting.

      Delete
  3. Hey TB, interesting as I have similar tendancys. I'm certainly not a social person and prefer to stay out of the limelight. As for criticism, I don't handle it too well especially if I'm not learning from it....unconstructed criticism is not a good thing for me. Strange how comments and dialogue can be easier when blogging. Perhaps because there is no direct contact?
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thought John. Certainly in writing/blogging one has the ability to choose one's words and responses rather than "think off the top of one's head"; also, I think, we get the choice of responding to whom we want instead of being forced to. In some ways the Internet can be a wonderful medium for personal discussion and a terrible medium for arguing (I am sure you have had the same experience as I in seeing otherwise rational people completely treat each other poorly and use terrible language because the Internet offers a form of anonymity.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!