Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Remaining Goals

Time to pick up on the rest of my goals.

Of the eight I listed this year, three of them are now officially completed and one of them is either going to be completed this Saturday or will have to wait until Autumn (new PR for Braemar Stone).  That leaves four for the year, one of which - testing for a level in Japanese - happens in December.  So really I effectively only have three that need invention and action (the Japanese, of course, is pretty straightforward:  study, study, study).  What are the remaining ones?  Financial and career, of course. The ones it is always the most difficult to succeed at.

Why?  I suppose it is because at some level both of these are out of my control  - financial less so of course, but it is bounded by the fact that we live in a household of growing girls where expenses happen as well as the general living of life.  Career, as I have written about earlier, is ultimately out of my control - I can do a great many things but still not make any headway.

Yet these two areas have the greatest impact on my life right now.

Personal goals?  I have achieved them and then some this year.  That has never been a problem for me.  I am fortunate in that I have many and they stretch me in ways that keep my life interesting and entertaining.  No, it is these two areas that I struggle with so much.

But the struggle cannot be all bad.  Within each of these is the power to greatly enhance my day to day existence, if I can only master them.  Imagine a life with a job that I really love, not just a job I have to tolerate.  What would that do for my mood?  What would that do for my energy?  What would that do for my sleep (yes, we have reached the point that it is affecting that as well)?

Here is thing I need to fix on.  I have accomplished the other things. I  have made remarkable progress in personal areas of my life.  The question is this:  how do I translate these into the more difficult things that are not fully in my control?

2 comments:

  1. May you have better luck at career than I ever had. I gave up bouncing my head against that wall years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I am tilting at windmills Preppy. I just keeping thinking for the amount of time I have to spend at a career, surely I can find something I actually like.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!