Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Throwing

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the Highland Games...  I found out that I could throw.

Not necessarily any better on the whole, you understand.  Overall my scores were my scores.  But what I found was that in certain events I had something that resembled a form that other throwers actually use.  Here is the funny thing:  when I threw with that almost form, my distances inevitably improved.

What happened?  Something that I had not really anticipated:  instead of constantly worrying about every thing, I just got out and threw.

The exception illuminates the example:  at one point in light hammer, I lost.  I almost threw and lost control. I reset.  I started again and hit the ground.  I reset.  I tried the third time and it circle wildly. I intentionally fouled to get my head out of the game.  After all, this was the light hammer - I had already thrown the heavy for a record.  Thoughts of hammer heights and winding and foot placement ran through my mind like a stream.

So I shut it off.  And walked up the next time, grabbed the hammer, wound it once, and just threw.  47'.  A new PR.

Am I going to ever reach the elite Masters?  Doubtful - genetics is against me: my body weight is at least 60 pounds below the next competitor.  But can I learn to throw and at least be a competitor? Absolutely.

I need only to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!