Monday, November 19, 2012

Trapped by Vacation?

Being on vacation is an odd thing.

This is my second official "vacation" of the year.  The first, as you may recall, was a visit to the Happiest Place on Earth.  This one is quite different in that we are staying close to home, doing some day trips, spending time with family.

10 days away from work.  You would think that I would be far more excited than I find myself to be.

Why is this?  Why can't I simply rejoice in the fact that I am blessed with paid time off and that I am using it spend time not doing my work and with my family?

Because I find myself nagged.  In the back of my mind I find myself nagged.

Work has started following me around like a bad emotion or a grudge.  I find it creeping into my thoughts when I least want, arguing with it when I least expect it, turning around and find it stalking me in my wanderings during the day.

I can't imagine this is especially healthy.

Has it been so long of not being on vacation that I have lost the ability to do so?  Have I allowed myself to become so consumed with what work is that I have lost the ability to unplug?  And if so, how do I break the cord (more like a steel trap, it seems) that binds me even when I have no reason to be bound?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!