Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spinning Wheels

Lus a' Chrom Chinn made me think last night - hard.

She pointed out (rightly) that, at least by using my posts as measuring device, I have been spinning my wheels (figuratively, of course) in my life since we reconnected our friendship online. That's something like 3 years at this point.

However, the more revealing part is that if I go through my journals (which I have this year), I've been spinning my wheels since 1992.

This is somewhat alarming.

I have to be honest - most of what my wheel spin about are my choice of careers. Interestingly, I've pretty much had complaints about my current field since I entered in 1996. Yes, it is a well-paying career and yes, I have been able to do a lot for mo theaglach through it - but based on yesterday's thought I may have reached the outer limits of what I am capable of doing.

Why? Because my heart is always pulling me in another direction.

That's it, she wrote. What other direction is your heart pulling you in? What are the things that bring you the most joy? Why aren't you doing those?

Good questions all. Here's my first step in the healing process. A short list (perhaps Top Ten?) of things I like to do:

- Writing (like this blog, of course)
- Working in a garden (or even in the yard now).
- Reading (Mostly history, philosophy, agricultural/gardening works, theology with a sprinkling of fantasy).
- Music.
- Iaido.
- Working with bees (heck, just watching bees!).
- Making food myself (not preparation for meals but the actual preparing of the food: brewing, canning/pickling, grinding the wheat or cornmeal I've grown. I'm sure cheese making will fall in here once I start it).
- Working with animals (the rabbits now, but any smaller animals or livestock. I miss chickens!).
- Walking and pondering (don't get to do enough of this now!).
- Combining one or more of these activities (such as using the rabbit droppings and old hay to place on my garden, which assists the plants in producing food which we consume or save for later; using honey from our bees to make mead).

For those that know me, you'll notice that not one of the things I do in my career is included in the above list.

I don't know how to end this post other than to say if these are the things I love and not one of them is in my current career field, how do I get from here to there? I mean, without falling off a cliff like I did with The Firm?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!