Thursday, December 02, 2010

Will and Change

"If one will do a thing, it can be done." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure

Been thinking a great deal about will and accomplishing things late, especially in light of Silverline's imminent departure and the typical "end of the year" review.

I had an epiphany yesterday around next year as it stands as I was talking to Fear Beag and Fear Mor about opportunities. What I blurted out was "Be clear in your thoughts: next year is not going to be significantly different from this year in terms of resourcing or money. Even if we were to achieve phenomenal results, there would be no immediate impact on our lives. What you see is what you get."

As I dwelt on the thought for the rest of the day, what I realized I was really saying is "Next year will be the same as this year."

And all anticipation died.

This is a hard thing, that end of one year one realizes that barring anything else this time next year will be the same experienced, doing the same things, facing the same issues.

And this is where goals seem to become so critical. It is only with goals that we have something to look forward to, a direction to forge ahead on. Without goals - without plans - we begin to spend the end of every year in the horrible realization that circumstances in and of themselves will not change - unless we change.

Therein lies will - the will to change, the will to move forward, the will to become something better or greater than we are now. Circumstances can lead us to this, but they can surely not force us to change. In the end only we can choose to do that.

We can continue to be crushed and hemmed in by our circumstances and choices, slowly collapsing the perimeter of our lives while maintaining that nothing is wrong and there is no need to change, like the the ancient Ephesians slowly watching their harbor fill in - or we can embrace the fact that change can and must happen, but that we must choose to make it happen, that we have selected goals and objectives that are worthy of our efforts, that stretch us beyond "same time next year" to achieve something more that what we currently think we are capable of.

God has given me talents. The question is, am I willing to change to use them? Will the pain of changing override the pain of realizing that without change, next year will be no different?

2 comments:

  1. gordon4:06 PM

    Stephen Sondheim, from "Sunday In The Park With George": I chose and my world was shaken; so what? The choice may have been mistaken; the choosing was not - you have to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it rich?
    Are we a pair?
    Me here at last on the ground,
    You in mid-air.
    Send in the clowns.

    Isn't it bliss?
    Don't you approve?
    One who keeps tearing around,
    One who can't move.
    Where are the clowns?
    Send in the clowns.

    Just when I'd stopped opening doors,
    Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours,
    Making my entrance again with my usual flair,
    Sure of my lines,
    No one is there.

    Don't you love farce?
    My fault I fear.
    I thought that you'd want what I want.
    Sorry, my dear.
    But where are the clowns?
    Quick, send in the clowns.
    Don't bother, they're here.

    Isn't it rich?
    Isn't it queer,
    Losing my timing this late
    In my career?
    And where are the clowns?
    There ought to be clowns.
    Well, maybe next year.

    - Send in the Clowns; Stephen Sondheim

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!