Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Silverline

So today is Silverline's last day, and I am terrible at goodbyes.

It has been my privilege to know Silverline over the last year or so - initially through work, but in one of those instances that occasionally one suddenly finds that one's co-worker is also one's friend, that you have shared interests and conversations. As C.S. Lewis put it, it is the sudden surprise of talking with someone and realizing "Oh, you like that too?"

It has been my joy to be able to walk with Silverline a little way on her journey, during which she her life has completely morphed 180 degrees from where it was six months ago. I have seen her move to pursue her dreams, to take the next step in multiple areas of her life, to begin her advance into an arena which (in both short and long term) she is sure to thrive and succeed beyond her (but not my) wildest dreams. To be a bystander to someone's life changes is always exciting; to be a bystander to someone who is close to you is precious.

I can say with complete honestly and humility that it is honor of which I am completely undeserving to know such people.

It will be a sad thing for me tomorrow, and the day after and the day after that not to be able to simply walk across the street or call in the middle of the day to see her smiling face to pick me up when I need cheering, or to bring cheer when it is needed.

But this is the way of things sometimes, when we have the blessing of knowing such people: we have the responsibility to help them on their way and watch them fly proud and free into the sunrise even as we stand in the receding night.

Thank you. Fly free with the knowledge and confidence that you will only go from success to success.

1 comment:

  1. Silverline3:38 AM

    Dear friend,
    The privilege is all mine. You are one of the rare people who transcend distances, times and enhance people’s lives greatly. A perfect combination of a meditating philosopher and a Jedi warrior. I treasure our conversations about topics small, everyday such as the size of an automatically provided paper towel in public restrooms (you thought I forgot ☺) and great in impact and nature, discussions about friendships, human journeys, different approaches to seeing and evaluating events, situations and human behavior. I love the goofy group of your department, the optimistic outlook and the humor that makes even the worst day instantly better.

    "A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Thank you for letting me think aloud, and be silly, and be serious, and be sad, and be happy and be me, just me. It has changed my life for the better.

    You are wrong in one thing though; you are way far from being just a bystander in my journey. And I will always treasure that.

    I will be flying free and proud… probably more into a show storm than a sunrise (how do you like this CZ humor ☺☺☺) but you remember a good conversation is just a phone call away. And because you know me very well, you know that my phone is never off.

    Thank you from the bottom of my heart, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!