Monday, November 08, 2010

Change

"Mr. Davis says that the only way things are going to change for you is when you change. What are you going to change that will in turn change your life? If you keep on living like the way you are now, you will continue to produce the same life you already have. That's the way it works." - Jim Rohn and Chris Widener, Twelve Pillars

I made a decision last night to not pursue a particular job opportunity.

For me this is a big thing - I hardly ever make hard and fast decisions. However, I actually bothered to give some thought last night to my family, what they wanted, and how what I have been doing has been assisting me (or not).

And then this quote came up this morning in today's morning reading.

For things to change in my life, I have to change.

That's hard - because it's humbling. It's hard to look at myself in the mirror thinking I am not doing all that badly and say "What you have has gotten you here - but it won't get you there." It's much easier to list outside influences and events which are keeping me back; in reality, it means that the most personal of things - my attitudes, my work ethic, how I do things and why - need to change.

And change of my own accord - not because it is forced on me by an outside source, not because my employer requires it, not because there is any guaranteed reward for it (although really there is) - but because I need to do it to move forward in my own life.

If I keep living as I have, I will continue to produce the same life I always have.

I need to produce a different life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!