Monday, April 19, 2010

The Deceit of Sin

"If we say we have not sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from unrighteousness." - 1 John 1: 8-9

The thing about sin that I find so amazing (if in fact one should consider something about sin amazing) is the multiple layers of it within my own life, and how easily I am deceived by it.

I can start out with the best of intentions and discover sin lurking there. I peel that layer off, ask for forgiveness, and move on. Right underneath it is another layer, slightly better hidden but still there. Peel that one off and move on. And then, when I think I'm starting to reach the core of altruism, there's another layer, heavily spiced with good intentions and "thinking of others".

The reality is, sin is warp and woof of who we are: it's permeated into everything that we do. Without Christ, the attempt to act with sin is simply that: an attempt, one that will eventually lead nowhere.

Even with Christ it is difficult for the Christian to live on a day by day, moment by moment level without sin trying to run (and ruin) anything. Unless focused, the mind runs away with itself; unless constantly reminded of my true purpose here on earth, I can easily become enamoured of lesser things that lead not to Christ and His glory but me and my satisfaction - all the time vehemently protesting that I am not thinking of myself but Christ.

But for the Christian it starts with what John says above: that if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and have no truth in us. Ponder that for a second: Christians, who say that they follow the truth, can have no truth in them. It's only when we acknowledge the fact that sin by confessing it (for to confess something, you have to know you have something to confess) that we receive the cleansing and forgiveness we so desperately need.


In a way it's a frightening thought: everything I think and everything I do has the potential to be a carrier of sin to myself or others. But at the same time, it's a liberating thought: I have the power through Christ to be forgiven and overcome that sin on a moment by moment, day by day basis.

I need only acknowledge The Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!