Thursday, March 18, 2010

How to Succeed - By Really Trying

Seeing the results of the Oscars this week, I'm prompted to think of what causes actors and actresses to suceed. It's not as if they start out as being "Best Actor" material or garnering multiple Golden Globes - more often, it's the end of a journey that is marked by such starts as "backup band guy" or "lady in diner" credits. As I was mulling this over, I especially thought of Jim Carrey, whose start was as a backup band guy in "Peggy Sue Got Married".

It crossed my mind because whether I continue in what I am doing or switch into something new, I will hardly start out at the top - so what enabled these people to do the same thing (in a far more viscious industry, I might add)?

This is what I came up with:

1) They do the best they can at whatever role they land. Jim Carrey (above) is the example here, but I'm sure there are a thousand more like it. (For example the first time I remember seeing Patrick Stewart in a movie, it was in the first Dune, which was a total flop. He managed to do okay later, though).

2) They have an idea where they are going. I recall reading of Jim Carrey, who made a carried around a homemade check made out to himself in the amount of $1 million when he started his acting career.

3) They are always seeking to improve their skills. I'm guessing a bit on this part, but I would imagine that in order to expand their abilities to get new and more expansive roles, they have to have the skill sets to make those roles possible.

4) They hustle. It's a cutthroat "What-have-you-done-lately?" industry, and no-one - especially when one is starting out - will do it for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!