Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Transposition

I had a reality moment just now - one of those things that just catches the corner of your eye and you initially ignore it, then it slowly works it's way back into your consciousness.

I was going through my e-mails and found an e-mail from the Voice of The Martyrs, a Christian organization which speaks for the persecuted church. I sort of quickly scanned it, as I often do, noted it said something about becoming involved with the persecuted church -wouldn't that be nice? - clicked the link and read it sort of haphazardly, then went back to the e-mail.

And there, as I looked one more time, the advertisement to the left of the text caught my eye: "Get a free Gucci Handbag +Watch" the ad proclaimed - right across from pictures of the persecuted church.

There it was, plain as the (somewhat oversize) nose on my face: the temporal and the eternal, the thing that matter and the things that don't. Persecuted for the faith on one side, free handbag and watch on the other. And so often like myself, both on the same page, as if they were bonded together.

When people read the e-mail of my life, what do they see? Faith or handbag?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!