Monday, March 09, 2009

The Forge of God

"But the LORD has taken you out of the iron furnace, out of Egypt, to be His people, an inheritance, as you are this day." - Deuteronomy 4:21

"Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction." - Isaiah 48:10

"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ..." - 1 Peter 1: 6-7

The realization came to me Saturday night that I am on the forge of God.

This period of waiting, of being between, is not wasted: instead, it is a fire to heat, purify, and mold my life.

The frustration I feel are not those of opposition: they are the hammer blows, shaping me and honing my edge.

The heat of my frustrations and seeming inaction are those of a fire, burning away the impurities and lesser things of my life.

Why here? Why now? That I cannot yet answer - or maybe will never answer in this life. But physical items are beginning to assume their proper role; spiritual matters are rising to to the surface to be dealt with as needed; that which is not critical is being burned away and removed to leave that which is critical.

I do not like being here - but with this realization, there is no place I would rather be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!