Monday, January 12, 2009

Done!

The book is done - this morning, as of 0638.

Some of you will know that I have working on a book - in all fairness, since 2003. I dropped off the writing map once or twice, but finally last year got up the energy (and courage to face criticism) to finish it off and send it for editing help. The editing review came back, I revised and sent out again, and even have an offer to publish - but due to financial issues, decided not to at that time.

But, like every good artist that is not happy with their work, I went back again, as part of my New Year's resolutions, to re-edit the work. I did this somewhat, and was faced this morning with considering writing one more section.

I looked, I pondered, I even tried a desultory typing of a couple of lines once or twice - then I said "done."

Part of my finishing is simply that I am ready to move on to writing something else - as I indicated, I've been working on this for almost 6 years now. But part of it is that it is done. Truly, I've got an offer to publish - what is another chapter or section or major modifications going to do for it beyond know what they want? Besides, I really am ready to start a new project, but in a way can't because this is hanging around my neck.

The other part is that it now forces me to make a commitment to finish the publishing process. Simply put, as long as I put "finishing" the book off, I could not be expected to have to figure out how to get it published - a convenient excuse. Now, I no longer have that excuse.

How remarkably freeing and terrifying at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. So, do you think that this completion is what your subconcious promptings have been all about? Do you feel more at peace now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a start, but I think that there is more. I'm thinking a great deal of it even goes farther back to the firm of before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget me when you become famous.Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could I forget old what's his name...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!