Friday, October 03, 2008

Top Dog II

I had some interesting and thought provoking feedback from Am Polleanach and her husband, An Quebecois based on the Top Dog reflection. The section that got the thought process going was:

"It hit me this morning: Isn't this how we act towards each other? Each of us, in our own way, trying to be "Top Dog" to God? Look at any church body or any church meeting (ever watch the dynamics of before and after church, or a men's breakfast?) and you'll see what I mean: sometimes in subtle, even unconscious ways, we try to "prove" to God that we are more into serving Him than others.

I wonder if God looks on the church with the same frustration that I look upon the dogs. He loves all His children in the church, but we are trying to clamber over each other to get His attention. He has created each of us with spiritual gifts to be used to build up the body - but not all of this are visible and seemingly rewarded in this life. Instead of being what He wants us to be (working hard on conforming to His word and using our spiritual gifts as they have been given), do we try to get His attention by doing visible things to show our devotion and service?"

Am Polleanach e-mailed him saying

"It got me thinking about motivation and why we really do things in church. Of course, because we sing, I look at it from a musician’s point of view."

An Quebecois responded:

"He’s right. We should do our quiet works for God without taking the limelight. We must be humble in His eyes. Service without reward of any kind would be ideal I would think. Now, if we could find a church where it’s people only think of giving without reward. Let’s not give up on that idealism."

The part that created additional thoughts in me are the comments "Of course, because we sing, I look at it from a musician's point of view", and "We should do our quiet works for God without taking the limelight. We must be humble in His eyes. Service without reward of any kind would be ideal I would think. "

As I mentioned before, my primary role of service in my church, and has been for many years, is being involved in music ministry: choir or worship team, instrumentals or vocal solos. When we pray, whether before rehearsal or performance, our Worship Team Leader prays "Let us use the talents you've given us to glorify you, not because we enjoy it but because you're worthy." For a long time I struggled with this, because I sing because I like to sing, I'm moderately good at it, and wherever I've been it's always an area of service churches are looking for.

But I wonder, based on the thoughts from An Quebecois, if we try too hard sometimes. What if in fact God, in His infinite love and grace, would give us to serve in those things we enjoy? There is something for myself in singing, where I simply lose myself in the act of singing. It is not work - it is a pleasure. Before we we begin to agonize over the ways we can't serve God with the gifts and talents we don't have, do we look to the talents and gifts we do have?

I know, I know - setup, or sweeping, or teaching, or a host of things are not necessarily pleasurable to do, but necessary. But even in these, do we lose out on the reward by concentrating more on what we get from the experience than on the joy of serving God, a God who has promised to reward us? And even in the quiet act of physical service, like gardening outside or physical labor, there is a kind of joy. Do we also recognize this as a service for and a reward from God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!