Wednesday, September 10, 2008

That Horrible SPLAT sound your hear...

...is the sound of my hopes hitting reality.

I had a conversation with a coworker this morning. My company had a meeting in front of a government agency this morning - a sort of non-binding "Go/No Go" vote - for which I had attended and he had not. I was relating to him in my broken, non-technical way what I understood the decision.

"Well that's good" he said is his slightly Southern drawl that I can't quite place. "This is kind of the last shot on goal for us."

The universe briefly stopped while I rearranged my reality.

One knows this, of course, in coming to a start up - and I've been to more than one. It's just the hearing of it in such stark terms that makes things so darn alarming.

I wouldn't mind so much, but within a week my industry has gotten notice that two employers in my greater geographical area are selling/closing down their plants, potentially affecting 1500 individuals. Yes, it's a good industry to be in, but there are not that many jobs in this area.

It's a wonderful thing to focus the mind.

How do we have? Originally they told me through the end of 2009, barring anything odd happening. That's about a year.

It's good to keep reality in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!