Thursday, September 04, 2008

Seek ye first

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you."- Matthew 6: 33

So peeling off from yesterday's discussion in terms of purpose and doing, perhaps I'll start with those things that Christ Himself said. Today's verse comes from the Sermon on the Mount, where Christ is discussing the various attitudes that will be true of Christians, and that obeying God is a matter of the heart as much as it is a matter of outward actions. The verse above comes at the end of the discussion concerning serving a master - either God or mammon (money). The comparison is made between unbelievers, who seek after money ("What shall we eat? What shall we drink? What shall we wear?") and the followers of Christ, who are apparently to do something else.

What? Certainly not go naked and hungry through a lack of attention! -Christ says that their Father in heaven knows that they have need of "all these things". But in counter to the question of seeking these things, of serving money (by extension, I suppose, the world and all our own "empire building"), we are seek the Kingdom of God and God's righteous."

In seeking, we are looking for something diligently to find it. In this case, the Kingdom of God - which, God says elsewhere, is not found in eating and drinking but in righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Romans 14:17). We are additionally to seek the righteousness of God - as found in God's son Jesus Christ, the offering for our sin, and therefore our salvation.

Do I seek Christ as my salvation daily - to the extent that I am not concerned about more mundane things (concerned to the point of worry)? How does what I perceive I should be doing in my life, about my goals, relate to seeking the kingdom of God (righteousness, peace, joy) and Christ? Are they building up His kingdom, or mine?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts and questions to ponder..I was reminded of something similar last night in our video study "The Case for Kids" to not overlook the fact that God is visible in the very minute details and mundane chores of life. This was given in context for how to teach our kids to see God in everything in life. This is good medicine for me to take as well!
    I don't know if there is an easy or concise way to avoid spending time/energy building up our kingdom here on earth other than worshipping (prayer, reading, writing,in community) God and looking at the mundane and daily things of life as being from God's Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it can be individually based. As with most things, we are all beset to different degrees by sin - what is a problem for you is not a problem for me per se. The challenge for myself, at least, is to stop myself and say "Is this seeking God, or is this just reflecting on me?"

    For example, if I attempt to be witty (attempt being the operative word) in such a way that I am not representing Christ the way He is worthy of being represented, it seems to me that I have sought my own kingdom (people's opinion of me) above that of making God great.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!